1.10.2021

Dog mama's



Our lives now revolve around a fur baby.  She's got a schedule to keep.  A bathroom routine and nap times.  She's got grandparent visits and photos and videos sent out to family and friends whether they like it or not.  She's indeed more than a dog to us and this day/this month/this year - I do not apologize for pouring ridiculous amounts of love into our furry adorable baby girl who occasionally poops in the living room.  

Penny/Pen Pen/the princess/pooper/wiggler min pin - 8 years of life and love she brings to the table of an unknown variety, but she's all fun and frollick and love.

She came to us covered in dandruff (worse than dandruff?  Just, layers and chunks of dead skin) wouldn't eat or play much but still had a glow of love in her eyes and now, she's transformed into an energetic bundle of joy who can both curl up into a ball you can't find under a blanket and stretch out to greyhound like length across the sofa, in between, you can hear the light delicate scampering of her dog feet on wood and tile, securing the premises and checking on us crazy mamas.

She has an adorable nose and a very active long tail.  Big foxy ears that perk up like sonar devices for deer and horses and mailmen but slick back when she's focused on a walk or cuddling or sitting in the car driving us with her nose aimed forward staring down the road  - Cara says she's driving the car with her mind...until she gets tired and has decided I'm doing ok and cuddles into Cara disappearing into a black furry ball sometimes with her head gently resting on the window ledge.  Dainty feet and dangly legs that always seem longer when she's curled up in a ball.


She's sort of trained?  Let's just say it's all a work in progress.  Some accidents in the house.  Some barking.  Some scratching at the door.  Some running ahead and possibly a few times wandering over to the neighbors house off leash (so that's not quite there yet) 

She doesn't like being in crates (clawed her way out of her cloth zipper closing travel crate and demolished a blanket the first week) and the one room of the house she's refused to sniff out is the basement so perhaps there's a story to that.

She doesn't bark and other dogs or humans on leash, loves to sniff everyone (including people sitting at cafe tables outdoors) and looks RIDICULOUSLY adorable in her fur lined red velvet coat we bought for her with Cara's mothers help.  

She still has a UTI and on her second round of drugs for it, but the nasty ear infection she came with is gone. Not sure what to do and looking for DIY options that are cheaper than buying $80 dog food.  I poured a little apple cider vinegar into her water this morning and we'll try and get as much liquids in her as we can!  

Apparently she was on the streets prior to her 2 month stay at the Ulster County SPCA where they really did fix her up from quite a few other ailments before we got her... she's had Lyme's at some point in her life.  Ring worm or heart worm I can't remember...  All stray dog related with nothing really critical or scary.  We can't figure out WHO would want to give such a great dog up, with her spunky energy and her  continual patience and understanding when it's 'quiet heads down time while the mommy's work'.  She DOES require a lot of attention which we are more than able to give.  My theory is that perhaps they passed on and she simply ran off.  She's got a very patient soul so it feels like she's used to someone with low levels of energy but lots and lots of time for cuddles and lap time.  I wish I could have met them and talked to them, known what her favorite toys were with them.  When they went on walks and bathroom breaks and what secret language they used to know when things had to happen.  I still don't speak or understand Penny fully.  

I had no idea how amazing it would be to have a dog, but possibly specifically our Penny.  No idea.  Although I'm not her favorite alpha mom (That's CARA - no surprise there) she let's me brush her til her coat is shiny, keeps me warm under the blanket watching movies as my dog heat pad, reminds me to get up in the morning with the sun with a scratch on the door, or otherwise gives me the excitement to start my day and come find her under her blanket, tail wiggling when she here's my voice even before she opens her eyes to the day.

I buy her a lot of things.  Really ridiculous unnecessary things as she is my true little princess.  She requires a designer white fur donut to sleep in, the highest of quality squeaky toys, we are experimenting with treats and toys and puzzles and pull things and also now has a complete doggy grooming and tooth brushing kit, although I'm a little terrified to try any of it.  She's on more pills and drops and ointments and body conditioners than I've taken or purchased for myself in over a year (which probably means I'm not pampering myself enough)   Where's my new toys and puzzles?  Oh right...Penny is it!

I get excited again now thinking about places to adventure with her.  With everything shut down, trails and dog parks and just walking around a new neighborhood are exciting activities, even driving with her is a thrill as you can see how excited she is to be part of the fun.   


So in this New Year of crazy unknowns, it's nice to be excited about quality time with Penny.









1 comment:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I am so glad you guys found such a good friend! And I am sure she is glad to have you both. I also think that your having that yard for her to run around in must be heaven for her!

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...