10.13.2010

Charles Schwab

ATTENTION:  Those friends traveling the world and living abroad!

I know I'm going to sound like an advertisement, but I can't recommend Charles Schwab enough!

I may have mentioned it to a few of you here and there, but this financial has probably saved us over $100 in fees in the last few months!

  •  No international ATM fees!  
  •  If a foreign financial adds on a fee, they reverse it!
  •  No Annual fees!
  •  .5% interest on your checking account
  •  Excellent online access 24/7
  •  You can open an account online!
  •  You can transfer funds from your local financial (hopefully Credit Union ;) in the same day and have access to your money a few days later
  •  Every time I email or call, I get an immediate response!  Real people!  No holding!  
  •  When you open an account, you receive your card and all the information within the same week.
You are required to have/open a "brokerage account" in order to have a checking account with Charlie (we are that close - first name basis!)  But!  You don't have to have any money in it! 

The other draw back - I remember trying to open an account in Thailand and not being able to - you may only be able to open an account in the States - but I'm not entirely sure!

I don't mean to be a total freak about this, I just hate how quickly and how high some of the fees can get while you are abroad just to have access to your money.  I think it is an American thing to want the best bang for your buck.   Rodolfo thought I was being ridiculous opening yet another bank account, but now even HE agrees that Charlie is the way to go!

Even if $2 seems like not so much to take out $50, it adds up extremely fast when you are traveling for an extended amount of time and $2 becomes $200!

I feel extremely adamant that local business/banking is the way to go, but!  In this one case, when you become an international man of mystery, sometimes you need a more international friendly option!  Just a little food for thought!

1 comment:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

That sounds great: I may have to check it out. I use BankDirect, which has no fees and reverses up to three foreign fees a month. And it does not give interest, but does give American Airline points every month depending on how much money you spend/have in the account.

Have fun in the US!

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...