3.09.2016

A latte

It's funny with jobs.
Most often the exact thing you do for work is probably not what you want to run home to do at night or on vacation.

I have been off coffee for more than a month now, but today after a steaming hot bowl of delicious Khao Soi curry soup on a steaming hot day with an adorable little cafe complete with beautiful wooden lounge chairs just begging to be sat in across the street, I purchased a steaming hot latte to complete the experience. 

This coffee shop has the right idea. Behind the counter there's a living room where his 8 year old can yell out to him whenever while watching her favorite show.  Plus. The place is just so cute!


Now for the actual experience of sitting having a coffee....

He brings out the gorgeus drink with a cute round glass of ice water accompanied by sugars and sweeteners and little spoon. It's all just cuter than cute. 

I sip.
I write.
I stare out at passing mopeds and trucks. There's a little barber shop across the street. A women working there just held her empty plate up and waved across the street. A family member or restaurany owner must be coming to fetch it.
Inside the coffee shop I hear him pulling and cutting tape. Maybe he's working on making signs? Mailing a package?

My big bowl of chicken curry is settling in my tummy and my lips are still on fire from the extra Chile sauce I added.

Sure enough an older women with a bright blue apron and thick rimmed glasses has come to fetch the plate. Right before crossing back she focuses her gaze on me briefly and then moves on.

It's not what you think though. Its because I am wearing bright orange pajama shorts and a tank top. I look ridiculous on any standard. I was able to wash my own clothes this morning in a real machine where items don't magically disappear and I dumped everything in, bag and all.  Then I got to close line them myself. I love doing this. Whacking and thwacking out the wrinkles and smelling the fresh clean scent. 

With every additional sip I taste delicious flavors. Nutty. Chocolate. Earth. Caramel. Not sweet but smooth and poignant and makes me stop and think after every tasting. My this is good!  My eyes pick up the waves of white leaf decoration amongst the chocolate caramel shades of espresso and feel a little sad to realize it's now half empty. How did this happen?  Who drank my perfect little latte of exact perfect temp, amount and flavor?  Where'd it go?

Mopeds.
Cars.
A few pedestrians with grocery bags.
A young couple just came in from their large black truck. Real locals doing real errands enjoying a real much needed break in their day.

The little girl has come from the back to say hello in her raspy high pitched voice
..SAWADEEKAW!!! And they are all laughing and talking and catching up while the tourist girl outside types away on her phone. Ah yes...the familiarity of this moment of the regulars chitting the chat makes my heart skip to be near it again, but this time I only smile to myself. 

Another sip. I let out a sigh and think about getting out my book. 
Mmmmmm.  So this is what this is like on the other side of the counter. 

No comments:

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...