1.08.2013

bakery wake up

It's always hard to wake up in the pitch black to a buzzing alarm and a cold floor.  Always.  No matter who you are!

Luckily for me, I work at a bakery!

Walking in from the cold and pitch black darkness, the bakery is all lit up from the inside.  Sometimes, there's a baker already setting up the mornings bread on the front shelves and a delivery van pulling up preparing to send out another shipment.

Immediately upon entering the building, I feel warmer, happier, and the cafe's pre opening dimness gives a bit of a transition to the fully awake squadron of busy bakers already scampering around here and there in the bakery.  There is a hum of life and the smell of bread in the air, unable to be contained with a steady thump of a catchy rhythmic song.  The bakery is in full force with music blaring, mixers whirling, and the oven in the corner alight with loaves of bread steaming and bubbling away deep inside its belly. 

Someones pulling fresh baked bread out of the oven while another is putting the finishing touch of confectioners sugar on the morning cheese danishes.  As I walk thru and yell a dreamy and sleepy 'good morning', I'm greeted with a full force of enthusiasm from all directions I'm never quite prepared for at that time of the day..."SARAH'S HERE!"  "HEY SARAH!"  "SARAAAAAAAH!",  smiles and hello's, quick nods of the head as they continue on in their delicate tasks of measuring, mixing, steaming, pulling, kneading and counting. 

I may have just woken up, but these guys are at their wide eyed rush hour pace putting their peddle to the metal for deliveries to be shipped out and the cafe doors to open.

As I quickly down my first coffee of the day, I throw on an apron and join in to the controlled chaos of the bakery world.   I'm no longer sleepy and rearing to go with the high energy all around me.  IT'S GO TIME!  What a great way to start a work day!  How lucky am I!

1 comment:

Mom said...

You're Back! Great writing! I'm eager to read more!!!!

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...