2.21.2010

Culture Clash

After the strong beautiful women of Bali, Malay women have me slightly confused.
A large percentage of the Malayans are Muslim, which hold strict rules
for its followers.
I read an article in the paper of three young Malay women who all turned themselves in for having illegal sex before marriage. In each case, they became pregnant and their pregnancies were discovered by their families. Punishment? 3 canings to the back and 2-5 months in prison for them and their male lovers. The canings were clarified to not be painful but humiliating, so they could feel purified from the guilt they felt for their actions.

When I meet women on the street they look at me with a wonder and I look back the same way.

Who are you?

I wish I could talk more with them to discover more....but I don't know how yet. Maybe soon I'll know the right questions to ask. I guess I'll find out.

No comments:

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...