4.27.2010

sores and bruises

In every country we've visited, I've managed to somehow slightly injure myself in the weirdest ways.
Every situation is slightly awkward in the sense of, how did I manage to do that?

In Indonesia, I burned my leg on a motorcycle engine and scraped my big toe open on a piece of coral.
In Malaysia, I discovered sand flies and sunburns
In Thailand, I discovered bed bugs, mosquito bites and extremely spicy food

But it wasn't until the very end here in Laos that I've managed to stumpify myself on how I get into the oddest situations.

A few days back I managed to have a splinter poke itself into my eye ball while kayaking.  It's all okay now thanks to sleep and saline solution, but...how did it get there?  I don't know!

And today!  I'm peddling away at 2.5mph on the side of the road and two kids on a motorcycle manage to hit me and knock me off my bike.  There was a great gathering of the neighbors, lots of talking and serious looks and then an announcement by a neighbor women of, "it's ok" and everyone dispursed.  I'm pretty sure one of the young men (aged 12-15?) broke his leg, but was trying hard not to make a scene.  I walked away in ok shape with a bit of road rash, bruising and a frown.  How did this happen?  I don't know!  Bad luck.

Luckily I'm still in one piece and with only 1 or 2 weeks left here in Asia, I can't do much more damage!

I don't mean to complain....or maybe I do.....grrr bugs and bikes!  For every minor problem, there has been so much gained in the experiences we've had here!  This could just as easily have happened anywhere else.  The places we've seen and the people we've met have been totally worth the scrapes and scratches!

No comments:

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...