4.01.2012

Tortilla skillet

Dining for 1.  Wow.
Is this ever a difficult feat for me now!
I tend to eat a few days a week solo, just because I get hungry earlier than the R man due to my crazy early schedule, but now, going a few days here on my own, where I thought my solo meals would be a celebration of cheese and wine and bread...to those taking bets on how long my cheese diet would last, yes....I'm a bit burnt out on cheese and bread and in need of some quality Rodolfo'esque salads.

I managed to cook up a big pot of black bean chili, stuffed with corn and onion, garlic, even celery, tomato...so that feeds a bit of the need for certain!

Tonight I made myself up a little taste from my past.
When I was in college living with 4 other girls, I lived on a strange and unusual dish that doesn't exist in a cookbook...because it's insane...but I have to admit, it feeds my soul....

Sarah's skillet for 1:

 - butter - melted in a small 1 person sized cast iron skillet/and or small saute pan
 - saute 1/2 onion - perhaps a bit of garlic for class
 - 1 portion diced meat - a hot dog, a slice of salami, whatever!  Cooked til slightly browned
 - add any veggie still salvageable from the fridge...zucchini, peppers, celery, mushroom what have you, chopped up fine - but not too much veggie, just enough for 1!
 - perhaps some diced tomato (1 singular tomato, or even just half)
 - perhaps some black beans, any kind of bean really!   (when eating for one, I keep a bunch in the fridge...so only a few spoonfuls eaten per meal, not the whole can/bag at once)
 - now, the crazy part, chop up some cheese, turn the heat off, and stir it in, let it sit for a minute so that the cheese chunks become nice and gooey, but are still "chunks" (so it doesn't disappear into the mess of beans and veggies, but you get a little texture/flavor of cheese in every bite)
 - toast some tortillas, chop them up and throw them in as well
Give it a stir, you're done!

For condiments, salt and pepper to taste, a spoonful of mayonnaise perhaps or a splash of sriracha can be nice.

For the true Sarah experience, eat straight out of the skillet at the kitchen table (don't forget your hot pad underneath) with wooden spoon, no napkin, drink a beer straight out of the can, watching some high quality junk t.v....now that's a meal of class and distinction!

Mmm...mmm...mmm...the memories of this meal....many a roommate with a look of concern..or was it...admiration at my genius techniques?!?  No waste!  Limited amounts of dishes used!  What happiness!

Good god it's heaven!  (I can feel R man cringing as he reads this...he says this is called eating like a pig...so true...so satisfying...oink, oink!)

I've just shared a little piece of my soul.
Don't knock it til you've tried it, it doesn't get more comforting or individually sized than this when eating on my own!!!
and dare I say....HEALTHY!

Wish I had a picture to share, sadly, I just ate the evidence!  Oops!

2 comments:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Sounds yummy. I often eat out of the pot while standing up at the kitchen counter. What's the point of making an ordeal out of it, dirtying dishes and taking extra time when you don't need to?

Sarah said...

Exactly! Right?!?!? You're awesome Kyria! Way to have my back!!!

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...