5.05.2011

23 hours

We had a 23 hour commute from Rodolfo's father's doorstep to my parents house.

15 hours in airplanes
6 hours in airports
2 hours in cars

I'm not the biggest fan of Delta airplane food.
A roll with cracker and pasta is not a meal!  It's a bad quality carb overload!

Lower left corner?!?  Our luggage!!!!

There is always a list of eccentric things that float into my mind coming back to the States, from people, signs, the nightmare that is U.S. Customs.... 

Immediate First impressions:
  • Lemonade powder - I saw a guy adding a packet to his bottle....I used to do this, but I haven't seen it in so long, it really cracked me up!!
  • Long lines for Starbucks.  This would just never happen in Chile.  Never!
  • Actually understanding passing conversations...I really missed this!  I know.  It's rude.  But getting to hear a funny sentence while passing by a couple of businessman is SO MUCH FUN!!!  
  • Accents!  We were waiting for a flight to Denver Colorado and a group of cowboys on a business trip sat next to us, complete with jeans, work boots, business shirts and the cutest little accent ever!
  • People with stuff.  Holy cow do people have stuff here!  Is it me, or do purses seem huge here?  Granted, we were in an airport and I looked like a crazy person with my purse stuffed to the gills and my back pak overloaded with electronic gear and Chilean nik naks....but geez louise
  • Clean, not pretty.  I don't know, it's weird, but Chile is a dirty city, but in that dirt, it has a kind of funky character....I forgot how clean everything is here, but lacking in character....just in streets and buildings....boooooring.
  • Warmth.  Physically and mentally.  I'm going to miss the Santiago sun and quite honestly...hugs and kisses.  I'm going to miss beso-ing (kissing) everyone!  It used to freak me out, but looking back, it was nice to have a set warm greeting when seeing a friend or meeting someone new....a sort of physical way to feel actually welcomed and warmed by another persons presence. 
  • Upon entering the MPLS airport, I heard 100's of people with my exact same accent!  Other potential "Sarah's" who look a little like me, sound like me, dress like me!  SO COOL!!!!!
That all being said, it's so nice to be back!!!  We made it intact with all luggage and no broken pisco bottles (whew) and I'm soooooo happy to see my family again!  Take a hot shower.  Eat chocolate chip cookies, homemade blueberry coffee cake (thanks mom) and freshly brewed, real, authentic, straight from the actual bean coffee!!!!

I'm so happy!!!!

4 comments:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Welcome back! We are right behind you. I get home in two days. I am not looking forward to the flight!

elizabeth said...

Welcome back Sarah & Rodolfo! I think I can speak on behalf of the entire country when I say we're glad to have you back. I hope we get to see you two soon--we're hoping to make it to Wisconsin in June (rhyme alert!). Will you be in Madison by then?

I also hope S and R in _____ continues!

Randali said...

Hi Sarah,

You don't know me, but I feel like I've taken this trip with you and Rodolfo. Your parents stayed at the Willard Munger Inn in Duluth MN last fall. They mentioned the incredible trip you two were taking and told me all about your blog. I had to check it out for myself and I've been a follower ever since. I hope that's not too creepy. Your trip is inspirational and I think you are an incredible writer - you have a knack...so interesting, funny and I feel like I can hear you telling the stories. Thanks for the trip ;)

~Randali Watson

twovols said...

Sarah,

Welcome back to the US! Shelby and I can't wait to see you too! BTW, I have to agree with WTaGG. This blog was always a nice escape from my doldrums of research and thesis writing. See you soon, hopefully!

Jason

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...