5.02.2011

No more terror

Midnight last night:
Sarah, you won't believe what happened!
Osama Bin Laden is dead!

Then we watched Obama's (kick ass) speech online.

I think almost everyone in the States today and everywhere else feels some kind of ripple of joy and triumph....for all of the bad in the world, today things are looking up a little, particularly for the families of the victims of 9/11....today is FINALLY their day!  

Whenever I hear stories about the Pinochet dictatorship here in Chile, I always think, wow, I can't even begin to imagine what that must have been like to live in fear everyday for what you believe....what a horrible time in history...I'm so lucky to have grown up in a country of free speech and open minds....

But I have to admit now, looking back on my year of travel, I didn't know when I left the States that I would feel safer, I would sleep better, I would have an easier time living simply because I was not in the States.  I wasn't scared anymore.  I didn't feel afraid every day watching the news and reading the paper that some horrible person in the world wanted me dead simply because I was in America.  Granted...that's not even close to the fear of living under a dictatorship, but walking thru an airport in another country without getting groped and smelling nervous sweat in the air, everyone looking around them, suspicious of everyone and everything else...I would take my shoes off in line and realize I was the only one doing it!  Sometimes, they didn't even check our bags!

I can't help but hope, perhaps things will change now in the States!  A little more love and a little less hate.

We fly to the States tomorrow, an experience I usually dread with all the lines and regulations, screenings, prodings, nervous eyes in Rodolfo's slightly darker skinned direction and loud speakers reminding me every 5 minutes that the USA is under attack...code orange, yellow, red - people want you dead - don't forget! - you're in danger!

But today is a new day!  I'm excited to journey back to my country.  I'm excited for the true 'hope' that Obama has given us last night!  I know I sound like stars and stripes are flying out of my ^%$, but wow, what an incredible feeling!

No comments:

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...