7.10.2009

STUFF!


I never realize how much crap I have until I move.
When that day comes (August 3rd), and I'm suddenly conscious of the pounds...yes, I see it in pounds...POUNDS! of things I will be personally hauling on my own back to
my new abode, it
quickly helps to decide what I need and what I can live without.....does my roommate always agree with me? Nope.


This being said, as painful as a moving experience can be, I occassionally look forward to it now!
It's a great time of reflection and change, looking at what things I used to really love that is crap and what junk I can't possibly live without.

Staring at my poundage, I always think of my poor grandparents, with their cartons and boxes stowed away in the their garage, slowly decaying over time... none of it can ever be thrown away or sorted out to be given away or sold based on one little nagging, annoying, cringing question....

"What if we need it again some day?"
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It's only annoying, because it's so true! And I HATE IT! No matter what object it is that is under discussion, no matter how much I've used and abused it or not so much, I at one point in my life saw it in a store, stared at it, considered it, bought it, and put it in my room.

Here are a few nagging objects on the chopping block:
6 bottles of lotion: (1 pound)
Really? I mean, REALLY?!?! 6 Sarah? Why do you need 6 lotions? Yes, you're a girl, and they are all different scents and colors, but really?

2nd coffee table: (5 pounds)
It's a perfectly adequate coffee table, and
quite charming....but it's sitting in a corner with stuff on it...the stuff can sit somewhere else! Like, the floor!

Empty book case: (15 pounds)
ok...here's the history: We got it from a friend who was moving, it's too tall and too big to put anywhere normal, so we put it in our bedroom where it holds...ready? NOTHING! It's just hanging out for....don't really know! I once took it apart screw by screw and stuck in a closet when Rodolfo left town for a weekend. When he got back, he put it BACK TOGETHER! Die evil undead bookcase!

5 non matching mugs: (1 pound)
All, of course, probably free from one such and such and another such and such. Have we ever used them? No. Will we ever use them? Probobably not! Will we ever get rid of them?....here it is...But...what if we need them some day?!?!?!?
Gag me.

It's the curse of the stuff.
There are always those items you know you're going to ditch...it's all part of the cleansing ritual....you've maybe even looked forward to it for a few months..."just you wait ugly pair of pants! You may be in my closet now! But come moving day!"

And there's the stuff you really love, but know you should probably toss....like your planner from 6 years ago, or that one pair of boots that looks so cute, but hurts your toes...umm...err....the pain is still too close....can't...talk about it...sigh...

Hopefully we all get thru our upcoming moves in one piece and hope the best for those things unfortunate enough to hit the street corner. May they find a good and happy home!






No comments:

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...