12.07.2010

One week in Yogyakarta Indonesia

I just recently got a chance to look at some notes I wrote at the beginning of our trip in January.

January 2010
Yogyakarta - Java - Indonesia

Both Rodolfo and I are getting tired of the road and tired of cities, maybe a little tired of each other.  I have moments where I think I'm home, then I realize I'm not.   I have other moments where I'm very much here and wish I wasn't.  Sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in a funny dream and I'm patiently waiting to wake up.
If this is how I feel after one week on the road, what will it be like in three months?



Terima kasih:  Thank you
Tidak mau:  No thanks
hmm...how do you say, How much is?

The Indonesian Smile
With a history of bloodshed and misunderstanding, it's easier to smile at your enemy while taking everything you can.  Something is always confusing, not sinister but uncertain.  Kindness is carefully measured in actions but shown to an extreme on lips.  What are they really thinking?  I don't know.

Nasi and Chicken Sate


I want to try:
Gado gado - steamed veggies with peanut sauce
Nasi campur - rice with small amounts of veggie, egg and meat
Rendang - fried beef curry

"Transport?  Bakso?  Special Batik Art!  I take you now?  Obama!  He lived here!  Sandals?  Earrings?  I give you good deal!  Where do you go now?  Where are you from?  French?  Dutch?  Transport?  Chicken Sate.  Goreng Bakso.  Soto Ayam.  You buy Batik shirt?  10,000 rupiah.  5,000 rupiah....OK!  1,000 rupiah!  Transport?  Where you go now?  We have special for you!  You go to Prambanan today?  Tomorrow?  You stay another day?  Where you from?  America!  AH!  Obama!  1,000 guns for free!  You give us as gift!  We like America!  How many sons you have?  We have Batik art center!  Hello Mister!  Hello Mister!  Hello Mister!  Transport?"

We are instant celebrities at ancient ruins


Avacado chocolate shakes are oddly refreshing!  Don't think I'll try it again.

Things I miss from Madison:
my lady friends
leftovers
mayo
cheese
biking
internet
reliable safe transportation
independence

Dancing within the Sultan's Palace


With a baby in one hand and a package in the other, she prepared herself to climb off the bus.  She looked tired, hot and ready to go home.  Then, I caught her eye and I smiled her direction thru the window.  Happiness filled her face, radiance.  Looking thru the bus window as we began to drive on, she waved still smiling and I waved back.  We were now sisters on opposite sides of glass.

1 comment:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I like this! I totally take random notes as well...

Are you in Chile yet?

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...