1.29.2011

Santiago Street Etiquette

I love Chile and Chileans...I'm growing a deep emotional bond with Santiago, giant city girl, that is me!
But!  I feel it's time to bitch a little.  Sorry Chile.
Santiago Chileans can be EXTREMELY RUDE!
(Chileans outside of Santiago not included....this is totally a big city issue!)
I should also clarify before I rant a critical determinant for poor Santiago Chilean etiquette....

 - Verbal communication! - once you have spoken to someone  - anyone - about anything - how they are doing, how's the weather, what they had for breakfast, which aisle has the olive oil, etc..  any Santiago Chilean will become your best friend and go above and beyond the call of duty to help you and show kindness to you...seriously!  Every time I speak to someone or watch Rodolfo speak to someone it's amazing!
"Where's the olive oil?"
"Aisle 3, but don't buy this certain brand, my uncles cousin works at the plant and it's not as good as this other brand, which is half the price!"
"Oh...uh...thanks!"
 *However, it takes courage to speak to people here...Chileans are a bit shy in general and weary of strangers....it takes some personal effort to cross the line to actually speak....

 - No verbal communication?  You are below dog crap in the eyes of a stranger and they wish you great misfortune in life.  May your children's children have pussy zits and smelly feet forever!

Now for the ranting!  I have become bad ass when getting around Santiago...not that I am, I just try to look like it.  Serious posture, set cheek bones....think Arnold Schwartzenigger...that's me!  Why?

Tran-Santiago - (the subway system)
If you are waiting to enter a train on the subway and you are expecting some kind of fluid entry and exit of polite people showing courtesy and personal space, guess again!  Just jab your way in once the doors open, who cares if someone is trying to get out....they'll do the same to you!

Biking
There are some actual bike lanes now in Santiago, which is awesome!  However, people use it as parking space for their cars, they also don't mind standing in them talking on cell phones.  If you are contemplating to cross at an intersection when a car is coming towards you and you have the right of way (green light)....if you value your life, wait anyways, they WANT to run you over!  They are determined to get you good and dead...what's even better?  Sometimes they speed towards to screw with your head, stop at the very last second and then get pissed off screaming inappropriate language when you don't cross in front of them immediately!  "What's wrong with you!  Can't you see I was going to stop for you?!?  Crazy bikers!"

Walking
Don't be surprised if someone pushes/crosses directly in front of you or walks in front of you and stops suddenly.  And yes, if you look behind/around/in front of you and your a women, there are plenty of men looking right back at you.....but never at your face....of course....However!  Unlike Egypt, if you catch them, most men look away in embarrassment.  My favorite thing to do is look them in the eyes and smile and say hello....gotcha....they don't know what to do.

Driving
People in Santiago are very bad drivers.  I will never drive here...I would kill myself and many, many others in the process....if only more Santiago-ans considered the same to be true, the streets would be much safer!

Shared Public Bathrooms
OK.  This could JUST be me, but every time I've tried to use a women's room in a busy restuarant or bar, I have a hell of a time budging my way into a stall....if I even get that far!  Usually, the door gets slammed in my face by the 10 women I'm assuming are secretly eating lunch in there...since they sit in there for a good 20 minutes!  Latina bathroom etiquette seems to be a fine art I have not yet acquired...all I want to do is pee ladies!  Give a gringa a break!

Are you sure?
I've had to get used to this international question after growing up in Minnesota.  In Minnesota, it's impolite to accept food/beverage when asked the first time.  You should wait until...."Are you sure?"  and then say yes.
I've learned this is purely ONLY a Midwestern thing!
"Would you like something to drink?"
"YES!  WATER!  NO GAS!  WITH ICE!  FROM THE TAP! please?"











No comments:

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...