1.15.2011

Los Angeles and La familita


I spent this past week hanging out with my Abuela! (upper left)
She's a hoot!  Plus, she's a great Spanish tutor!

Lorena and I went on a road trip together with little Simoncito to grandma's house so little Simon could be introduced to the family!
Did I mention Rodolfo has a big family?
This past week was a crash course in LA FAMILIA!   Who are all totally awesome!
Aunties, uncles, really cool cousins, nieces and nephews...I had a blast!

Let's make this clear though familia:
1.  We are not having a baby until I have adequate housing and health insurance
2.  We are not moving to Chile for at least another two years and then....repeat 1.

Here are some Chilean basics I picked up in my intensive family boot camp in Los Angeles!

 Take any name of a person or food or really any noun in general and add -ito/a to it, which generally makes a word "small" or "cute" in Spanish and you are in Chile!

example:                                            pronounced:
aguita  = Chilean agua/water                  awita
guatita = Chilean guata/tummy               watita          
guaguita = Chilean guagua/baby             wawita   

It was driving me crazy trying to decipher which one was being said!  "Aguita para la guatita de wawita?!?"

Hungry?  Have some pan-cita!
Thirsty?  Beb-ita! or perhaps a cafe-cita!
What is my name?  Saritah!


Sometimes, I think by saying -ita, I am agreeing to eat or drink less??   Nope.  Normal sized!  Just cute!

Pan.
Pan is a staple here.  If you don't like bread, you won't like Chile.  Chileans, love, BREAD...well, and Beef.
Even better?  The two together!  Perhaps with a tomato salad on the side..you know....for healthiness!

On a personal note, I spent the week tummy sick after accidentally swallowing the cleanser in Rodolfo's dads tea kettle making a tea.  Whoops.  After cleaning out my system, it's been a slow and steady recovery to normal watita-hood.  Abuelita chicken and rice soup along with continual cups of fresh herbal tea (I think she said, te-ceta!) from her garden just prove there is no place better to be sick then at grandmas house!  Gracias abuelita!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think I could live in Chile, I really like beef sandwiches and bread! The more spice on the beef the better. Dad

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...