2.03.2012

granola eaters

We pride ourselves on our normalcy...not to say we're normal...but we aren't the other options either....
Hipster
Hippy
Yuppy
Uppity...at least I hope anyways...
Foodies...well...does open mindedness make us foodies?  Does love for eating food count to that?
(I actually think foodies are pretty awesome...I just don't know enough about food myself yet to get to truly use that label....something to work towards...becoming a 'foodie'...I'm nuts.)
Any other names or categories I should throw out? 

I mean....I guess we BELIEVE we wouldn't fit into any particular category.

(as I finish up a fresh batch of homemade granola that's cooling on the stove top as I type this!)

We were having dinner with another couple we just met here in Madison this past fall and my new awesome lady friend said "you guys are the only organic type people we know"  (which she meant with love)  A lot of people that have recently met me are surprised I'm not vegetarian...I really can't figure that one out!  Do I look vegetarian!?!  What does a vegetarian look like exactly?!?

It's funny...these categories we have don't exist other places....most other places in Europe, Asia, South America....our lifestyle choices would be absolutely normal!  Eating local and fresh food.  Using public transportation/not owning a car.  Trying to fit exercise in regularly.  Entertaining guests at home....here, I feel....this is not so normal.

GRANOLA EATERS!
Yep....to start off with...I do make my own granola!  It's a million times cheaper and healthier then buying it in a box...I'm a little obsessed about this.  Does it taste nummy?  Probably not, because it's loaded with flax seed, sunflower seeds, wheat germ and oatmeal with a tiny fraction of the sugar!

ORGANIC HIPPIES!
As for organic....the only things we purchase strictly organically are the things that just plain old taste better that we can afford!  Carrots, sometimes yogurt, sometimes milk...our main objective is trying to buy locally, not organically, because produce, meats, eggs, dairy tend to taste better and be less expensive when they're made close by.  This to me is critical anywhere!!!  Farmers Market produce that's local is always Bigger, Fresher and Tastier then something you buy at a store that comes from the other side of the planet....that being said, I have some tasty Chilean blueberries I've been obsessed with in my fridge right now!!!  In winter, beggars can't be choosers!

CAGE FREE
R man and I have a disagreement on eggs at the moment...he's switching to a strong following towards cage free, I'm personally pretty happy with some locally raised brown eggs...it's a thing...just depends on who is grocery shopping!


We try to buy local salami and sausage and occassionally add in a treat of chicken or turkey or pork once in a while...non free range....granted, I'm fully aware how absolutely delicious free range meat is to eat, it's just not in our price range.

FIXIES
We don't bike on fixies...we have shifts and breaks...but we use our bikes as transportation not recreation.  The idea of biking without a destination in mind seems a bit weird to me now!

PBR
I'll drink whatever, neither of us are particular, but after just these last few months being in beerlandia, we're both getting a bit burnt out on the brew and are leaning a bit more on the wine and the strong stuff to keep our tummies happy through winter.

LEGGINGS
I like pants that fit.  Not tights with a jean design spray painted on them.  Not pants that fall off of me and flare out with pleats to create that extra lovely double butt effect.  Somewhere inbetween.  Normal people pants!  Harder to find nowadays then you'd think!


Am I a yuppy?  Don't have the funds for that title.
A hipster?  Ditto.
An 'organic person'?!? See answers above.
A hippy?  I am a card carrying customer of Banana Republic and the Gap.  Plus....I eat meat.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying a steady, healthy lifestyle based on a bit of exercise, good food and the company of good friends and family...why the need to label?

I am looking forward to a time when daily routines and decision making on food choices in this country have changed so much that we ARE the normal....some day!

2 comments:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I need your granola recipe! And no, I am not a vegetarian, but I think they usually have hairy armpits. Do you have hairy armpits? You forgot to talk about that!

Sarah said...

HA!!! You know what's funny?!? I do forget to shave in winter...something Rodolfo hounds me on!!! "Sarah! You look like a hippy! Put your arms down!!!" HA! So...perhaps I am becoming a hippy...??? =) Hair removel and my experiments with the removing of it is a whole blog in itself!

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...