2.21.2012

uterus discrimination

Is it me, or do a lot of people hate my uterus?!?
Yes...I'm taking it personally.  My little uterus is under attack and I don't know what to do!

The more I think about it, the angrier I get at the "choices" and "control" I have over my body and my rights of what I can and cannot do...particularly when it comes to natural healthy events in life, like having children.

It comes down to money.  It comes down to white, male politicians who will never have to give birth.  Cuz let's face it, that shit is hard enough as it is, much less throwing a bunch of paper work, legal requirements and financial woes at the situation.

I'm 29.  I'm married.  I'm healthy and happy.  I'm at that exact stage of life where it's finally a good idea to actually pop some kids out, but I can't afford the health care that would cover it.  That kind of coverage is now listed as an 'add on' for an 'additional charge'.

I would have to pay an extra $400/month for something called "Maternity Rider".  I would have to pay this $400 for a full 12 months before even considering the potential to start trying at having a family.  At this point, if I were to have a child, I would be better off accepting support from the state and looking for "free public health" options for my baby and my potential pregnancy.
This makes me and my uterus furious!  Having a child should not be only for those who can afford it to get good prenatal care!!!!!  It should be for everyone!  As should the education to NOT have children.

For those of us women with babies on the brain and also being the full time bread winners of the household, there is also the fact that in many work environments here in the states, "maternity leave" is a thing of the past.  I once received a letter from a past employer notifying me that if I were to go on an unpaid maternity leave, it would not be guaranteed that I could return back to work.  My job could be gone.

Whether or not my personal choice is to create life, I'm angry that things have come to this great lack of choice!!!!  I'm angry at the lack of education/information there is for women, particularly at my age when creating life is a NATURAL PHENOMENON!!!  Not just something a fairy godmother magically bippity boppity boo's into you!!!  There is so much attention paid to teen pregnancies, or women who are considered to be too old and having babies 'at risk', taking hormones, models finding surrogate uterus' so they're bod's stay tight, etc.etc..and of course, dare I mention abortion and all the politics of unwanted pregnancies.....which leaves me feeling like "pregnant" is a dirty word.

BABY MAKING IS NORMAL!!!!  Without it, none of us would exist!  I don't feel that I'm the exception to the rule...I should be the NORMAL one and yet my uterus and I are outcasts...

I see plenty of ads out for new state of the art rings, pills, surgeries aimed at 20-30 something year olds apparently doing plenty of yoga and shopping  - according to the ads - all of these procedures with plenty of painful sounding side effects that go along with them, and oh yeah....of course they are prescription only and you'll need to get them from your doctor.  I don't think I've ever...EVER seen an ad for a condom.  Not once!  Unless you count the machines which dispense them in bathrooms.  I'm sorry, but condoms are cheap.  They're safe.  They're easy to get and both participants are fully aware and equally responsible to make sure they're using them effectively.  They've been around forever and you can buy them at Walgreens.  Nothing state of the art or invasive about it.
It's time the uterus got a bit of respect.  That's all I'm sayin'!
When did having a uterus get so freaking complicated?!?
Rant over.  Is anyone else angry about this?!?!?

2 comments:

Cindy said...

You forgot to mention how outrageous it is that the discussion on contraception is being characterized as an issue of religious freedoms as opposed to one of women's health. What the WHAT?!? I have no idea how we can even take these things seriously, it's such a load of BS. I'm totally with you in your outrage and your rant. I'm sorry that these issues are affecting you right in this time of your life when you are planning your family...that stinks. Good luck with everything!

Sara said...

I think it's also ridiculous. I was thinking about blogging about it myself, but from another perspective. I'm not sure if I'm ready to have kids yet, but I don't want anyone to tell me what I can and can't do when I do.

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...