7.25.2011

hey ya don cha know

So.  You may have noticed I'm from Minnesota?
Watching the movie Fargo isn't so much funny for me as it is familiar.

There's nothing like making fun of someone else's (R mans) culture for a few months and then get whacked in the head with a plethera of midwestern lingo immediately upon landing in the Minneapolis airport.  Not to mention the lovely bouquet of Sar-glish (Sarah English) sayings that pop out of my mouth every day just because I'm here.

Yer good to go
Geez louise
You still workin' on that?
oh golly, golly geez, gosh darn hey now, yeah!
Get er dun
You betcha
How's it goin'?
Oh my!
(among many many more)
There is a reason why stereotypes about cultures are created, there's always plenty to make fun of no matter where you're from....these little moments with a waitress/bus driver/stranger in line are the moments in a conversation where I truly feel at home.
When I might say, "How ya doin' dere ey?"
and someone responds with, "oh, ya know, just pickin up some beers for da boat up nort at the lake, ya"

I mean...of couse, it's never that perfect, I live in Wisconsin now, so it's more of a "Well, I'm just pickin' up some beers for da big game to go with my slow cooked bbq sauced mini wienies and a cheese tray"
(man does that sound good right now)

While I'm discussing these two great states of the Midwest, I might as well clarify some cultural differences people may notice....

MN: casserole/hot dish of mysterious substance - generally involving a can of meat and a can of soup!
WI: slow cooker filled with meat in BBQ sauce... with some beers

MN: rice crispy bars - WI: beer

MN: Vikings - WI: Packers...yes, always with many, many beers

MN:  Ice fishing - WI Ice fishing...you guessed it!  Plus beers

Don't get me wrong, I love my Scandinavian, Minnesotan, Lutheran, Lefsa eatin', talkin' about the weather, stocking up on spam in the basement for the next great depression heritage!  But...life in Wisconsin aint so bad!

If you say "how's it goin eh?" in Wisconsin, they'll more then likely get the gyst of what yer gettin' at, and heck, that might just offer you a beer to boot!

No matter which particular spot, it's good to be back in the Midwest!

1 comment:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I went swimming yesterday and got offered a beer by some rafters floating by. I did accept. Naturally!

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...