3.10.2011

The backpacker syndrome

There he is.  Awkward and tired.  Khacki Pants.  Thailand T-shirt.  Lonely planet and free tourist map in hand.  Special black sport sunglasses.  Standing on the street corner with that look of....

......uh.......

Of all the people I see on the streets of Santiago (or anywhere really) I judge backpackers the harshest.

"Ooh!  Rodolfo!  Backpacker!  Ooh!  Ooh!  10 o' clock!"
That is, if I say it first, Rodolfo is just as judgmental, observing every detail and then playing the game of "where is he from"  Germany!  No.  France!  Definitely France!  You can tell by the backpack and the angry face....

Perhaps because we've been there.  We've gotten the very same look/discussion/judgment hundreds of times, like being part of an elite secret club you can only join after you've been hungry, tired, dirty and have to pee for more then four hours straight, all with local onlookers goggling and laughing at your expense.  Members of this kind of club don't like fakers.

If you haven't peed in awkward situations, if you haven't eaten street food, if you haven't slept in questionable circumstances.....EEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR!  Not in.  Yes.  I'm labeling myself as "in"....I can do that after peeing in the places I've peed.  Where have you peed?  hmm?

That guy on the street corner.
He looks miserable!
A part of me doesn't understand him at all.
Who would want to do that?

Why would you want to carry around your home on your back in extreme heat not knowing where you're going to sleep or what you are going to eat, all while looking like a stupified loser....sounds tantalizing.....

That all being said, I can't WAIT for our next trip!!!
and when we do it, I'm TOTALLY going to BE that guy!
Will I plan ahead beyond perhaps the purchase of a Rough Guide?  (R.G's waaay better then L.P.'s!)
ABSOLUTELY NOT!
Would I choose to experience all of those dusty, hungry, dirty days over again?
BUT OF COURSE!

That look I'm giving that poor bloke with the embarrassing pants?
Pity mixed with....admiration....
I'd rather eat dirt then be in that guys shoes.
hmmmm....
Dirt is supposed to be good for you once in a while....
helps your immune system or something, right?

No comments:

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...