4.30.2011

change

We are now in our very final days in Chile...wow....I can't believe it!
We catch a flight to the Twin Cities next week Tuesday where we'll get some time to catch up with my corner of the world for a wee bit before the great big day when we become grown ups again...it's coming!!!!

So once again, we transition into a new life, new culture, different language, different food and a great big kaboodle of uncertainty....not really knowing what's coming at us next.  Luckily, we've now had lots of experience with the unknown and we aren't too afraid, as long as we are together....sappy and true.

I always get really sad leaving Santiago, especially seeing Rodolfo so happy and content here with his family and friends.  I know when we walk down the cold windowless hallway that smells funny, waiting to enter the great big Delta Boeing, he's going to have that puppy look on his face, bending in odd ways to catch a last glimpse/sniff/feel of his country....I know we'll sit there for a minute in our seats and he's going to be really quiet, and after a few minutes, we'll hold hands, buckle in and he'll say, "I wonder when we'll come back.  I'm really going to miss Chile." and my heart will break for him just a little bit, because I know it's my fault.  I'm making him leave everything he loves here...for...well...me! 

After living here for five months learning not just a language, but a culture, family structure, etiquette and eating an insane amount of bread and meat, I'll admit I have a little Chilean pride for my better half and I know we will be back!

Of course, there's a hundred thoughts a minute rolling thru my mind right now, mostly sentimental moments of, 'this is the last time I might walk by the crazy pigeon bench lady' 'last olive', 'last pisco sour', and then of course I have another, but everything we do now is suddenly in the light of

is this it? 

the final Chilean grape I'll eat for maybe the next few years?!?  I know....you're thinking you can buy Chilean grapes in the States too...trust me on this, they aren't the same!  The grapes here?  A million times sweeter/richer/better....and it's not just the grapes, quality of life in general here, FANTASTIC!  The food.  The climate.  The mountains!  It seems almost ridiculous to leave!

This was our 'test' to see if we could enjoy living here and the answer is most definately yes, it's just a matter of when. 

No comments:

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...