9.06.2020

A little bit brave

 To all of you in my family who have been homeowners as long as I've known you.....I HAD NO IDEA!!!!!  

Now granted, Cara my wife and I (yes, you heard right, I'll fill you in later) just bought an almost 100 year old (1937) farm house hippy home in the middle of nowhere with: 

10 acres with a view of trees and horses, crickets chirping, summer breezes thru wind chimes, a fire pit, a garden, a pool and lots and lots of fresh air to breathe!

However!  All of that loveliness on the zillow site didn't also mention:

Crickets- indoors!  Spiders- indoors!  Gardener snakes under bushes and in door crevices, carpenter ants, mosquitos, mold, wood rot, mystery bugs, mystery poisonous plants and yes, Sarah has now confirmed she's still allergic to a certain variety of shrubbery!  

A friend sent me a cartoon from the New Yorker that reads "I'm bored, let's buy a house in the country with lots of problems" Yes. WE ARE SOME OF THOOOOOOSE PEOPLE!  

I say to Jerry Seinfeld's thoughts on NYC - easy to say New York isn't dead when you aren't trapped in a 1 bedroom apartment with the sirens blaring non stop thru a PANDEMIC! The view is pretty nice from Long Island eh Jerry?...so to all THOOOOOSE other people out there in the same boat as us fleeing the hell they've recently lived thru and just now scraping into a COVID free safe environment where they can sit outside in the sun with out a mask sipping a coffee.... throwing down our cold hard (tip money thru the years) cash all at once on the great escape - GO!  BE FREE I SAY!  LIVE THE DREAM!

Still trying to figure out how to relax in to the beauty while also feel slightly on edge that something is going to creep out or fly up to kill me, but we are figuring it out.

It's ok though, as my mother says, we've simply exchanged bed bugs and cockroaches for another variety of friend...if anything, the cockroaches aren't looking quite so bad anymore!

A few things I'm still figuring out about our surroundings that also require a certain amount of bravery.

  • How much well water do we have before it runs out mid shower and what's actually in it?
  • When will the chill night air calm the alarming amount of creepy things?  When will they stop creeping me out?
  • Is it safe to use the oven - when the gas guy said...'eh...it's ok? I mean, it'll work for now, but you're going to want to replace it!"
  • Can I buy and ride a lawnmower?
All things I will figure out with time.  I'm excited for this new journey in adulthood and moving beyond 'ok' to 'facing my fears and growing into something bigger'.  I dare to face a new day, bring on the bugs and the 'is that a bad noise' moments and feel a little bit...BRAVE!


No comments:

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...