9.15.2020

Fixin' shit

Basing my updates on my level of feeling abled/skilled to solve problems/fix shit and generally know what I'm doing 0-10!

5 - a window was busted and wouldn't close...it looked like it was simply weather destroyed and permanently ruined from wood rot, however!  I re screwed in two screws and the window magically closes completely!  Are we saved for winter?  EH?!?

1 - We have water spots on our bedroom ceiling - now there's a crack in the middle of the water spot...we have a roof leak somewhere

4 - Gutters.  I've successfully used a ladder to access the gutters, remove a bucket full of gook and pressure sprayed out yet more gook - on one corner of the house out of ..8 edges? - the water sort of just....stagnated back into place and I have an entire second side of the house to de gook.

8 - Lawn mowing.  After great long discussions and advice sessions and consumer reports reviews and online reading and more reading and more reading....I bought one of those ridiculous self push mowers for $100 - the kind that you push and it turns the wheels like a gerbil ball - no gas, no electricity, just sheer muscle - true to every tool I've purchased for this house yet - I'm on some crazy pioneer mindset these days and apparently DETERMINED to do things the hard way, at the same time, I have never felt so completely confident in my skill and determination to mow this lawn with this tiny lady like lawn mower and it brings me great great joy.  All I want to do is MOW!

7 - Heating/cooling.  We hired men to come in and install Fugitsu splits for great large amounts of money- we have heat now and AC later!  Now...how do we know which to turn on and for how long to keep the pipes from freezing?  Is the tiny noise irritating?  Will we get used to it?  

2 - the Ground hog - where is it an will it burrough into our house and will my haveaheart trap actually work to catch it - and when I catch it - if I catch it - what the HELL do I do with it - as it stares into my eyes with its cute little eyes and fluffy cheeks.

For all of the things I can and cannot fix in this house, it's things that CAN be fixed, if it's not by me, than it's someone else to call, to ask a favor of, to ask advice from and that feels good.  To reach out again for something I can change.  After months of sitting at a kitchen table staring at a screen alone, walking from window to window obsessing about the uncontrollable, the unforeseen and the unforgiveable things - I can dig a hole, paint a crack, buy a pillow and move a blade to make it better, cleaner, fluffier and softer. 


 

 



No comments:

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...