9.14.2010

Home

Right around when we were leaving Africa, I lost it. I wanted to go home.
I was tired, I was frustrated, I didn't want to get ripped off or stared at anymore and I wanted it NOW!!!!

Well, our ticket to the States wasn't for another 2 months and of course, Rodolfo loves to TRAVEL, the trip was not over by far...and, small detail, we are homeless...lacking the home.

Being on the road so much, I think a lot about home.
The idea of what a home is, what my old apartment looked like, the traditions of my family, having a place to just stare at walls, drinking a giant cup of coffee out of my special giant coffee cup,  feeling "normal",  knowing how much an apple costs, or just buying a package of butter and getting to use it for more then one day.

So during freak out, Rodolfo asked me, what is it you miss Sarah?  Is it really the States or could we make a home anywhere?  We probably won't have an actual home for another year or so, so missing something that won't exist for a while is a bit tricky.   Could we perhaps rent a temporary home?  Find a mini quasi permanent situation?

Compromise?
We arrived today to Madrid where we will stay put for 2 WHOOOOOOOLE WEEKS in our friends parents house.  Our mini social experiment begins today!  Is it possible to make a feeling of "home" temporarily in someone else's home?

I've already taken a nap, stared at the ceiling for a while and considered cleaning my belly button!   All good signs!  I'm getting excited to buy that packet of butter already!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

welcome to your new home! i know you two will enjoy it! keep blogging...it's great to travel vicariously through you two! love you, auntie laurie : )

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

On the same page, yet again.

However, I think it is more than butter. Sometimes I just want to putter (haha, a rhyme!) around the house, you know, reorganize my sock drawer or hang a photo on the wall...

I hope this helps though. I know what you mean. These days, 5 days is a LONG time! good luck!

Gratitude day 2

Penny cuddles  Working remotely and sleeping right up to 9am after a bad nights sleep A wife who reads instructions allowed while I throw IK...